Monday, October 15, 2012

Easter in October!

I was looking in my refrigerator and noticed I needed to use my eggs before they went bad so I decided to hard boil them.  While they were cooking I remembered a picture I had seen of Easter eggs that looked like dragon eggs because there were a crackled green color.  I thought to myself, well it is Halloween, and Dragon Deviled Eggs" would be a perfect treat!

                                                  
Ingredients: 
  • Eggs
  • Red and green food coloring
  • 1 cup distilled vinegar
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp sweet relish
  • 2 Tbsp mustard
  • garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste

Hard Boiled Egg Directions:
  • Place one layer of eggs to a large saucepan, do NOT over crowd the eggs.
  • Add water (just enough to over the eggs)
  • On high heat bring water to a boil
  • Take the eggs off the heat once water starts to boil and cover.  Let sit covered for ten minutes
  • Transfer eggs gently to a bowl of ice water, leave eggs in the water until they have cooled.
Once the eggs were done cooling I gently rolled each one on a cutting board to crack the shells.  This way the food coloring will penetrate the shell and leave a crackled pattern on the egg white. I pulled out my green and red food coloring, distilled vinegar, and got to work.  

Directions for Dying the Eggs:
  • Mix 20 drops of green food coloring with 5 drops of red, a cup of vinegar, and 2 cups of water all together in a class bowl.  
  • Add eggs.  Make sure eggs are completely covered in the dye mixture, rotate occasionally, and leave over night.
 (Matt thought these looked like rotten avocados!)
  • Under running water gently take the skin off the eggs. They will look like this:

  • Cut eggs in half with a paring knife and scoop out the yolk.
  • Mix yolk and last 5 ingredients on a bowl.  Combine completely
  • Spoon the yolk mixture back into each egg and put the two halves back together letting a little of the yolk squish out for effect.


This is a super fun and easy project to do with kids in the kitchen!  Who doesn't love a good Dragon Deviled Egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment